Sunday, January 6, 2013

Chicken Chimi's

 
 
We made these the other night becasue I was craving El Charro and trying to be frugal ;) They came out way better than I expected and were soo easy!
 
 
Chicken Chimi's
 
-3lbs cooked chicken ( I usually put chicken in the crockpot in the morning on low and add garlic    salt, pepper and about 1 cup of water and let it cook for about 6 hours or until it shreds easily with a fork. Rotisserie chicken would work too)
- 1 package McCormick's Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- Flour tortillas
- Vegtable oil if you want to fry the chimi's. Baking them will work too if you are going for a healthier version.
- Shredded cheese
- your favorite Enchilada Sauce (ours is Macayo's)

Shred the chicken and put into a pan with 2/3 cup water and the chicken taco seasoning. Let this simmer until the chicken is coated in the seasoning, you can add another pack of seasoning if you would like. (if you do add another 2/3 cup water)
Fill tortilla with enough chicken to roll into a burro (be careful to not overfill it)
Roll into an open-ended burro. You can secure the middle of the burro where the tortilla ends with a toothpick and bake at 350 until the tortilla has a nice golden brown color.
 *If you want to fry them fry on each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crispy and drain on a paper towel lined plate.*

Top burros with warmed enchilada sauce or use Mom's homemade enchilada sauce! (I will let her post the instructions for that)  andadd cheese!

These are really good served with refried beans and spanish rice!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe, we can't wait to try them tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, could you post your enchilada sauce recipe? I've never been successful at it, but I'd like to try it again :)

    ReplyDelete