Sunday, August 18, 2013

Zupa Toscana Soup


I found an Olive Garden copy cat recipe for this soup on Pinterest.  I read it a couple times, but when I went to make it today the website wasn't there anymore...  Not sure what changed from yesterday, but I decided to wing it anyway.  So, here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
5-6 sliced bacon, diced (I didn't have any.  I'm sure it would've been good with it, but it was good without it too)
1/2 large onion, diced
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
6 c Chicken stock, low sodium
2 c Kale (I actually used some really yummy, slightly peppery, spinach.  A doctor I work with grows it and he always ends up with a ton so he shares.  You just want a green that will stand up to cooking).
1 pint heavy cream
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter
Red pepper flake (to taste, I just sprinkled a little in and seasoned from there.)
salt and pepper

Brown the Italian sausage (and bacon if you have it) in the soup pot.  Place on paper towels to drain.  Set aside.  Add some butter, onion, garlic and red pepper flake to the pot sweat until translucent.  Add sliced potatoes and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer until potatoes are cooked through and starting to break apart.  Add sausage greens and cream.  Heat through and let flavors combine.  Season to taste

1 comment:

  1. I should have used your recipe, mine was all messed up 😔

    ReplyDelete