Saturday, August 10, 2013

Spinach & Pancetta Stuffed Shells

 I was super ambitious yesterday and did some cooking!  I made a big double batch of Green Chili Meat (plenty for lunch, dinner, and the freezer) and these Stuffed Shells which were perfect to put in while Penny took a very long, late nap today.  These were really easy to make - but, if you wanted it to be even easier the filling would be great in lasagna with some of those oven ready noodles.  I'm definitely trying that sometime too.  If you're not familiar with pancetta you should be.  It is GOOD!  It's cured pork, similar to bacon but not smoked.  If you can't find it or don't want to you could always use finely chopped ham or bacon.  But you totally should try it.  I sort of winged it on the recipe so the measurements aren't really precise.  "Till it looks right" is the rule of thumb for this.

Spinach & Pancetta Stuffed Shells 

(I don't know why, but it will not post this picture right side up....I tried)
Ingredients:
1 box Jumbo Shells
1 pkg (2 cups) Italian cheese blend
1 box frozen chopped spinach
1 sm package pancetta (just realized that  I didn't notice the ouces... 'till it looks right)
Ricotta cheese
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (we are partial to Giada DeLaurentis Vegetable Marinara...yum!)
1 egg
salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder to taste


Brown pancetta in a skillet.  Let it drain/cool on a paper towel lined plate.  
Cook the spinach in the microwave according to the package.  Place in colander to drain (you may want to press it with the back of the spoon.  Get it as dry as possible before mixing with the cheese.  Mix spinach, pancetta, ricotta, 1 cup cheese, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper together in a bowl.  Set aside.  

Boil shells according to the package, I put a little olive oil in the water so they wont stick.  Drain pasta and spread out to cool on an olive oil-lined cookie sheet until they're cool enough to handle.
Spoon 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Once shells are cool enough to handle, spoon filling into each and place them on top of the sauce in an even layer.
Top with remaining sauce and cheese.  Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until cheese is browned.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good!!! I've never had pancetta but I think I would like it!!

    ReplyDelete