Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Little of Everything Chili

This is a recipe that I tweak every now and then depending on what I have on hand/ need to use up.  It’s kind of a mix of a couple different ones I’ve used in the past.  It’s surprisingly healthy with low fat meat.  I know that adding the mushrooms may sound strange.  It was part of a South Beach Diet chili recipe that I’ve kept going.  The baby bellas (or portabellas) have a really hearty, almost beefy flavor.  It’s a good way to bulk up the chili without adding so much meat.   Plus they have lots of Vitamin D which we are low on.  You could easily do this in the crockpot too....hmm...I'm going to have to try that next.

We served it over crushed chips.  It would also be good over quinoa or rice or with the usual chili toppings.

A Little of Everything Chili


2-3 Tbs   Olive or Canola oil
1 lb  Lean hamburger (90% or above)
1 onion, diced
2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced
2  red bell peppers, diced
1 sm carton of baby bella mushrooms, minced
1 8oz can fire roasted diced green chilies
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 qt  beef stock
Season to taste with:  chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper

Heat oil in a large pot.  Brown hamburger.  Add onion, garlic, carrots, bell peppers & mushrooms.  Cook 7 min or so until vegetables are tender.  Add all other ingredients.  Bring to a simmer. Season to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment